Friday 7 June 2013

Porky's v Meat Liquor: Step away from the BBQueue

We don't usually give bad reviews, but in this instance, we're just trying to helpfully suggest that you weigh up the other options before weighing in at Meat Liquor. It's just not worth the wait when there are so many other, better quality BBQ options out there. 

My favourite (Elle speaking) has to be Pitt Cue Co. in Soho, whereas Flo is less of a meathead (ahem) than me so I recently suggested that she head down to Camden's newest venture: Porky's. Here's what she thought.

Flo: I know that Meat Liquor has been massively over reviewed, and that an apologetic 'I know you've heard it all before' has resounded through blog after blog but.... as I was passing by before any queue had formed, I thought 'why not'. It is a real love or hate place and I was curious which boat I'd be in.


I have to say that even without the much grumbled about queue, I hated it. But rather than rant for half a page, I have paired this review with the lovely, similarly cheap, simple menued alternative of Porky's in Chalk Farm.


So why did I hate it? Well, to begin with, I like to be able to see what I am eating and felt like every sense was stifled in the dim red lit room blasting out terrible 90s pop and rock. This made it impossible to talk and with the pretty obnoxious and slow 'fast food' service, there wasn't much else to fill the gap.



And the food? I ordered the regular cheeseburger which was marginally better than McDonalds and I suppose only twice as expensive, and the cheesy chips which were covered with indigestible quantities of raw diced onion. The Mr had the dead hippy (a sloppy double cheese burger) which was considerably better.

Massive queue had formed by the time we left

All in all, I would leave it for a bad date who you don't want to really see or hear, and if I wanted to be properly looked after (which I always do) but still go somewhere casual, I would head straight to Porky's. The place itself is stripped down and fit for purpose, great for spending time with people you actually want to spend time with. It is trendy without being try hard and without needing to hire hipster, disinterested staff. 



 

Their real driver however is their hero product of pulled pork, which comes in at just £8.75. It is succulent, tender and really hits the spot with a good measure of sauce from the squirty bottles on the table. The porky burger is pretty good too though I only had a bite to try. In the end the product speaks for itself and I will definitely be a repeat customer.

Porky's Kentish Town Camden Town North London Meat Liquor BBQ restaurants North London Flo and Elle Flo and Elle Flo and Elle Porky's Kentish Town Camden Town North London Meat Liquor BBQ restaurants North London Flo and Elle Flo and Elle Flo and Elle Porky's Kentish Town Camden Town North London Meat Liquor BBQ restaurants North London Flo and Elle Flo and Elle Flo and Elle Porky's Kentish Town Camden Town North London Meat Liquor BBQ restaurants North London Flo and Elle Flo and Elle Flo and Elle Porky's Kentish Town Camden Town North London Meat Liquor BBQ restaurants North London Flo and Elle Flo and Elle Flo and Elle